Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Family Car Vs. Fun Car Part 1

So we are officially shopping for a new car as of Saturday afternoon. We are giving our car to some family friends and so the pressure is now on to find another car so Luke can get to work.

Honestly I could probably give him my car and bum rides to work or bike because work is less then 2 miles away. As I was walking this morning with Jennifer I realized just how blessed we are to have two cars. Jennifer was telling me when her and Don were first married they shared one car. I believe this is what my parents did as well while my mom was still in school. Get this when my Nanny and Papaw were first expecting my Aunt Terry they did not even own a car and they  did not have a phone. So when my Nanny went into labor they had to go and borrow a phone to call for a ride. Can you even imagine?


Anyhow Saturday afternoon we went out to start our search for a new car. If you know my husband anytime we are shopping for anything over $100.00 his anxiety level rises to new levels. The funny thing is this may be the first time that he was actually excited about shopping. He may have had a warped idea of how much cars cost but excited nonetheless. As we pulled into O'Brien the big debate began. 


Family Car Vs. Fun Car

You would tend to have thought that my hubby would have been on the practical side airing towards the family car option but if you guessed that you guessed wrong. Yep my husband who when we were putting our first offer on a house on Springfield (which we did not get) was laying on the ground in the realtor office trying to not hyperventilate over buying something that cost over a hundred thousand dollars. Wish I could have caught that moment on tape it would have been a keeper for sure.

Luke has been eyeing this little beauty for some time in OBriens car lot. Here are the stats:  USED2011 BMW 3 Series Automatic in Black on Black 24,000 miles (Sticker Price:$37,995.00)
I am not going to lie to you I would not be opposed to bopping around town in this little number but the back seat is pretty small and we do not need this new or this expensive of a car that is really just for fun.

The next option was the family car. Stats: USED 2010 Toyota Highlander fully loaded black with tan leather 26,000 miles (Sticker Price: $37,995.00)
This car really is a great car it can seat up to 8 people so we can start popping out the kids or have twins and be fine. However when we went over to look at the new ones you could basically get the same thing for just a few thousand dollars more. The problem was this would put us around $44,000.00 once tax, title and license fees were done. 

We left really wanting both things but feeling like the FUN car was not practical and the FAMILY car was just a lot of money to spend on something that only lasts 5-10 years. 

After Saturday the stats were Family Car 0 - Fun Car 0




No comments:

Post a Comment