Wednesday, July 20, 2011

PIGS

Last night we were over at a friend's house for dinner(we had a great time by the way) and I thought I would share with you what I learned about pigs. 
(**Disclaimer: This information was taken from a certified vet from the U of I but please do not quote me in case I did not hear correct.)

  • A female pig is a "Swine"
  • A pig's gestation is 112-115 days long
  • A female pig will have aprox 2.5 litters a year
  • A baby pig is called a piglet
  • A female "virgin" pig is called a Gilt
  • When a boy pig "fertilizes" a girl pig they shoot a gel like substance that creates a plug to help keep their "little piggies" inside.
  • A full size pig can weigh around 300 pounds
  • A Swine vet has to shower about 100 times a day. Once when they arrive at the farm and once when they leave so they do not spread disease to other pigs. 
It is funny to me how different people's lives and jobs are from each other. Anyhow if any pig farmers are reading this I know a really nice swine vet. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment