Thursday, October 6, 2011

Insomnia

Last night I went to bed around 12:30am only to wake up wide awake at 3:45am. I guess my mind was racing and could not shut off but who knows. I tried counting backwords from 100 by 3's. I tried going and getting a glass of water. I turned down the air in the house. I woke Luke up three times telling him I could not sleep(not sure if I thought he was going to wake up and have a convo with me or what). I watched the latest episode of Castle. I went downstairs and folded a load of laundry. Nothing helped at all. By 5:15am I gave up and got up for good. I took a shower, blow dryed my hair and did a little research on the cause of insomnia. True to my WEBMD addiction here is what WEBMD said: 



Insomnia is a sleep disorder that is characterized by difficulty falling and/or staying asleep. People with insomnia have one or more of the following symptoms:
  • Difficulty falling asleep
  • Waking up often during the night and having trouble going back to sleep
  • Waking up too early in the morning
  • Feeling tired upon waking



Causes of Insomnia


Causes of acute insomnia can include:
  • Significant life stress (job loss or change, death of a loved one, divorce, moving). <Parents On VaCA?
  • Illness.
  • Emotional or physical discomfort.
  • Environmental factors like noise, light, or extreme temperatures (hot or cold) that interfere with sleep.
  • Some medications (for example those used to treat colds, allergies, depression,high blood pressure, and asthma) may interfere with sleep.
  • Interferences in normal sleep schedule (jet lag or switching from a day to night shift, for example).
Causes of chronic insomnia include:
  • Depression and/or anxiety. <YES I AM ANXIOUS SALES TAX AUDIT ON TUESDAY>
  • Chronic stress. <SEE ABOVE>
  • Pain or discomfort at night. <Back, Neck & Sciatic>

Symptoms of Insomnia

Symptoms of insomnia can include:
  • Sleepiness during the day. <YES>
  • General tiredness. <YES>
  • Irritability.<YES>
  • Problems with concentration or memory

No comments:

Post a Comment