Friday, June 17, 2011

Hutch Redo

I found this hutch at the Habitat for Humanity Restore a couple of months ago and the moment I saw it I had to have it. After cleaning out 3 earrings, 2 pennies, an old lipstick tube and one sock I removed the all of the doors and the beat up back.

I decided not to sand this down first and used a very thick oil based primer first. The only issue I had was that when  this primer gets on your hands it will not come off. 
Because I do not pay very much attention to detail I have not painted the  inside cabinet of the hutch maybe one day I will but knowing myself I would have to be super bored.
I bought a new piece of particle board for the back and cut it to size. I then covered it in shelve paper and reattached the back. I looked into other options such as wall paper however due to the fact that wall paper is not super popular it is pretty hard to find around town. There was many options online but me being the impatient type I really did not want to wait. I also thought about fabric but when I found this shelve paper it worked so well. The fun thing is the back is a very easy thong to change and takes about 5 minutes so who knows maybe in the fall it will be different:)
The finished project.


This was such a fun project and for $150.00 I was able to buy the hutch, primer, paint new particle board  and shelve paper to redo this hutch and have enough paint left over to use on something else:.


No comments:

Post a Comment